Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Start of a New Year

After a week of frustration in dealing with the aftermath of Tropical Storm Irene, we were thrilled to welcome our students back to school on Tuesday. Although the weather provided a wet start to the school year, the students didn't let the rain dampen their spirits. The first day back at school was a chance to reconnect with their friends, meet their teachers, and learn about the experiences they will share throughout the school year.

For the 800 students who attend Nipmuc, the start of new school year is a time of transition, change, and anticipation. Certainly, there is a palpable excitement about catching up with friends and discussing the summer. However, the start of the school year is also a time to establish new goals, to confront the anxiety of taking on new challenges, and to prepare for the rigors of the work ahead.

As an educator and a parent, I look at the start of the new school year with great optimism. I also  recognize my responsibility to see this experience from a student's point of view. With that in mind, I asked some of Nipmuc's finest student leaders for insight on the first days of school. I am glad to share
their thoughts, and I hope that it provides a window into the beginning of our year.


Katie Estabrook
Student Council President

On returning to school: "We all like to pretend that we hate going back to school, but once we all walk into Nipmuc there is a visible buzz of excitement. Each new class is a new adventure. The summer is amazing, but I really do love coming back to Nipmuc with all my Warrior friends."

With advice for freshmen: "The biggest advice I can give is to branch out, make new friends, and don't be afraid to try new things. Really enjoy it because pretty soon you will be crossing the stage at graduation."






Stephen Lukas
President: Class of 2013


On the challenges of the school year: "Personally, I will face the challenge of two AP tests, SATs, and rigorous finals. However, I am confident that with the help of my devoted teachers, I will score well on these tests."

With advice for freshmen: "I advise the members of the freshman class to open up the lines of communication with their teachers. Also, keep in mind that despite the plethora of school opportunities, academics should be first in your priorities."





Emily Wojtowicz
President: Class of 2014

On the excitement of the start of the school year: "It's always an excitement to come back to school and see everyone you haven't seen all summer and to get your schedule and find out what classes you have...This year I actually got bored of summer. I just wanted the first day of school to come already!"

On goals for herself and the Class of 2014: "This year, I would like to challenge myself and really make everyone in my class feel comfortable and accepted. As a class, I'd like to challenge my peers to become more involved in the school and become more united as a class together!"




Dan Consigli
President: Class of 2012


With advice for freshmen: "The best advice I have for freshmen is to make your school work your top priority and to try your best on all of your work because it will pay off."

On the challenges of the year: "The most challenging aspect of senior year is balancing all of one's work while filling out college applications."







As you can see, Nipmuc is fortunate to have such thoughtful and enthusiastic student leaders. Through their guidance, we are excited to build on the momentum of these first days as we look forward to the year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment